Frequently Asked Questions
The program takes care of making repairs when the following systems have unexpected break-downs.
1. Central Heating & Air Conditioning Systems
- All parts of centralized systems as well as:
- Any air conditioners that are permanently installed in your home and not portable (excluding window-installed/ portable units);
- All floor, ceiling, or window heating units, including gas or electric fireplace inserts (excluding chimneys/ flues), and electric baseboard heaters andspace heaters when affixed to walls.
- Heat pumps located within or outside your home: evaporative coolers, compressors; control systems; heat recovery ventilation units, energy recovery ventilation units, oil storage tanks located within your home.
- All exposed or accessible duct work pertaining to a central heating and/or a central air conditioning system.
2. Electrical System
- All electrical switches, electrical receptacles, electrical circuits (including repair of electrical short circuits), in or on a building on Your premises; internal circuit breaker panels, breakers and fuse boxes.
3. Core of your Plumbing System
- Any blockage, leak or breakage of water, gas, drain, vent or waste piping and fittings, excluding perimeter drains, lead drain lines/pipes and/or any polybutylene piping, often referred to as "POLY" pipe including Kitec plumbing or similar.
- Important Notes: The value of Program Services required to repair or replace septic fields or piping that is behind or encased in concrete is limited to $500. The value of Program Services required to repair or replace a cracked sewer main is limited to $2,500. Services required to eradicate clogged sink drains and leaks from taps, faucets, shower or tub controls, toilets or toilet component parts are not included in the Program.
4. Hot Water Heater (if owned)
- All gas control valves; thermostats; heating elements; burner and pilot assemblies; burner blower motors and blower wheels; fuel units; static discs; air tubes; nozzles and nozzle lines; line filters and strainers; impellers; ignition wires; electrodes; terminals and transformers; pressure and temperature relief valves; thermo- couplers; drain cocks; fuel pipe and fittings; and water heater tank.
5. Ancillary Repairs, related to Electrical System or Central Heating/Air Repairs
- If, as a result of performing Program Services described in subsection 1 or 2 above, the Repair Services Technician must break through any wall, floor or ceiling, the Service Coordinator will arrange for additional Program Services, valued up to $500, to restore the affected wall, floor or ceiling to a rough finish. Decorating services (e.g. in respect of paint, wallpaper, trim, etc.) are not included in the Program.
These are not covered. Only the systems driving the key functions inside your home are covered (heating, central air, electrical, plumbing).
Any kind of home can be covered, as long as (a) no more than 50% of the property's square footage is used for business purposes, or (b) it is not a condominium unit, or any other type of property with more than two distinct living units, that share common heating, air conditioning or plumbing systems.
No. Appliance warranties are readily available at virtually any major retailer at time of purchase.
No, through our special arrangement with your mortgage lender, no inspection is required
Our program has no age limits or restrictions. For example, some older furnaces that have been well-maintained throughout their life function very well. However, there are some other limitations to be aware of if you have older equipment in your home.
- In the event that your home system in unrepairable, or cannot be repaired because the necessary part(s) are either no longer manufactured or no longer available, full system replacement is not covered.
- Break-downs that are caused by rust, corrosion, or a lack of maintenance are not covered.
The program doesn't cover problems that were caused by:
- any causes or occurrences that are external to your home systems including natural events (such as weather, earthquake, tree roots), electrical events and/ or caused by a person (because this type of event is already covered by your home owner's insurance).
- improper construction methods or construction materials or by structural defects or any other structural problems in the home;
- other than the normal use of a home system including uses that are contrary to those uses stated by the manufacturer and/or failure to provide proper maintenance, as specified by the manufacturer;
- the inadequacy or lack of capacity of any home system or component or part thereof, or improper installation of equipment, or design deficiencies;
- alteration, modification, addition to or deletion from any home system or a component or part thereof;
- any violations of building codes, by-laws or other laws including any upgrade work or service required to meet building code or to conform to by-laws or other laws;
- consequential loss or damage, including as a result of delays;
- any dishonest act;
- freezing or heating of a plumbing system;
- rust or corrosion; and
- latent defects and/or asbestos, lead or the disposal of refrigerants or contaminants or other hazardous materials or an unsafe condition.
We know that breakdowns can happen at the worst possible time. So, call anytime, day or night - 1-866-217-5993. Arrangements will be made for a qualified service technician to come to your home and assess the problem. If your breakdown is covered, all you do is pay the $50 consultation fee to the technician, and we take care of the rest.
The maximum value of Program Services that will be provided in any 12-month period is $10,000.
Encompass Home Service Corp.
P.O. Box 20515, Stoney Creek, ON L8G 0A4
fax: 1 (888) 365-3466
If you are a resident of Alberta, Saskatchewan and BC and require advice about your insurance policy, call the toll-free number above and follow the prompts to connect to a licensed individual.
We actively manage our service provider network and anyone who fails to meet our high standards of service is promptly removed.
We have been in the home warranty business, serving homeowners across Canada, for over 15 years. The obligations of the Encompass Home System Warranty Program are fully backed by federally-licensed insurance company, Aviva Insurance Company of Canada. We always welcome any feedback you may have, and we appreciate the time you take to share your story with us.